ABPI Code of Practice
We work hard with all parties to ensure we meet the requirements of the Association of the British
Pharmaceutical Industry’s Code of Practice. Our consultants are all required to strictly meet the conditions
of The Code. The latest guidelines can be found: https://www.bsped.org.uk/resources/docs/ABPIguidelines.pdf
Legal and Ethical Guidelines for Healthcare Market Research
(British Healthcare Business Intelligence Association)
We adhere to the legal and ethical guidelines for healthcare market research under the following guiding principles:
1. We always obtain informed consent from market research respondents, willingly given, to collect and use their data.
Before we do this, we make sure they clearly understand the specified and lawful purposes for which we are
collecting the data and how it will be used. In cases where we are collecting and using sensitive personal data,
we obtain explicit consent.
2. We always observe the rights of respondents, including those of confidentiality, anonymity, and the right
to withdraw at any stage.
3. We keep market research separate from any form of promotion. We never use market research as
a vehicle for disguised promotion.
4. We forward any adverse events raised during any study (that meet the criteria) and fulfil our responsibility
to drug safety. We do this without compromising respondents’ rights to anonymity and confidentiality.
5. We ensure data collection is adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose(s) for
which it is processed
6. We treat respondents with respect. We take all reasonable steps to ensure we do not harm or
disadvantage respondents as a result of our professional activities.
7. We ensure that data is processed fairly and lawfully. And we only use it for the specific and legitimate
purposes that we originally obtained it. We ensure that personal data is accurate and kept up to date. We
ensure that personal data is processed in accordance with the rights of respondents under the Data Protection Act 1998.
8. We take appropriate technical and organisational measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful
processing and to prevent personal data being accidentally lost, destroyed or damaged.
9. We only transfer data (to a third party or overseas) once it has been adequately protected.
10. We don’t keep data longer than needed to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected.
11. We always behave ethically. We take our responsibility seriously to ensure we do not undermine or
damage the reputation of pharmaceutical market research in the UK.
12. We conduct market research accurately, transparently and objectively. We always conduct market
research in accordance with relevant national and international legislation, including in particular the
Data Protection Act 1998.