We welcome the publication of this ‘roadmap’ for delivering the aspirations of the Community Pharmacy Forward View and the Murray Review. As importantly, we are pleased to see the collaborative leadership between the three pharmacy organisations (Pharmacy Voice, PSNC and RPS). However, we are disappointed to hear of the NPA’s decision to withdraw from Pharmacy Voice which will mean its ultimate disbandment – unity and engagement, not egos and division, are absolutely critical at this time.
The roadmap identifies six key deliverables:
1. Raising public awareness of what pharmacy does and can do
2. Building partnerships across the care systems
3. Harnessing technology
4. Workforce development and an empowered pharmacy team with the right culture and skills
5. Support for the management and implementation of change in the sector
6. Establishing new ways of working supported by appropriate funding and contractual mechanisms
The pharmacy bodies now seek a constructive response from NHS England, DH and government.
We believe that adopting the full ethos and quality criteria of Healthy Living Pharmacy as an enabler of change will provide a platform for most of the above.
Our summary? – we need to look it, act it and do it and be enabled to do so.